BY: News Desk | Voltaonlinegh.com |
It was an emotional scene at the Toklokpo Basic School Park at Sogakope in the South Tongu district on Saturday, where scores of mourners gathered to bid farewell to the murdered Assembly man for Sogakope South Electoral, Marcus Mawutor Adzahli.
The mourners, mostly young people could not hold back their tears as the remains of the 37-year old popular entrepreneur was being conveyed to the cemetery for interment. The sight of his widow and two young daughters left many to sob uncontrollably in their nose masks amidst the COVID-19 protocols.
The burial also attracted profile personalities, mostly from the National Democratic Congress (NDC), of which the deceased was a staunch supporter.
Among them were the NDC national chairman, Mr. Samuel Ofosu Ampofo, Mr. Henry Ametefee, the Regional Chairman and his Secretary, Mr. James Gunu, South Tongu MP, Mr. Wisdom Mensah Woyome and a host of others.
Marcus was gruesomely killed at his home in the early hours of Sunday, March 1, 2020 by a group of assailants who broke into his residence. His wife and daughter also sustained some injuries during the attack and were admitted at the hospital for days.
The incident triggered three days of spontaneous protests by residents who accused the Sogakope Police of being unresponsive to distress calls from the victim during the attack. The angry residents besieged the police station and also blocked the Accra-Aflao highway at the Lower Volta Bridge, demanding the immediate arrest the killers.
Since then, the police have arrested some persons in connection with the crime and they are currently standing committal trial at the district court.
About Marcus Mawutor Adzahli
- He was the proprietor of Mac Greenline Ventures, a key distributor of MTN and Vodafone merchandises.
- The business, which has branches within Sogakope and its environs employs a number young people in the area.
- He was one of the high volume merchants for telecom giant, MTN.
- He was last December 2019, adjudged the second best Vodafone Agent in Volta region.
- Marcus is known for his philanthropic works, making regular donations to schools, health facilities and other institutions in the area.
- He was also elected the Assembly man for Sogakope South Electoral Area in December, 2019.
- He is also staunch supporter and a financier of the NDC party in Sogakope.
Below Are few pictures from the Burial, Courtesy, Edward Mawulimotion