By: Benjamin Owusu | Voltaonlinegh |
Two persons have been confirmed dead and hundreds of people displaced following a communal violence which erupted between two Konkomba clans, Nankpatiib and Bigbim at Sibi in the Nkwanta North District of the Oti Region.
The clashes from Friday, June 28 to Saturday, June 29 resulted from the people of Nankpatiib wanting to construct a market on a parcel of land at Sibi Hilltop alleged to have belonged to the other faction who put up a fierce resistance leading to a gun battle between the two.
The displaced, who were mostly women and children were said to be fleeing the area to neighbouring communities for their safety.
Confirming the incident to Voltaonlinegh, the District Chief Executive (DCE) for the area, Jackson Kwame Jakayi said the two persons had been shot dead during the violent clashes while many residents fled the area adding that, both factions were claiming ownership of the same land.
Mr. Jakayi disclosed that one of the military officers dispatched to the area to quell the violence was shot in the leg by an unidentified resident.
The DCE indicated that the District Police Command had subsequently beefed up security at the conflict area by intensifying security patrol teams both within and outside Sibi Hilltop.
The 2-day clashes happened few days after traditional leaders of the Konkombas paid a courtesy call on the Regional Minister, Nana Akwasi Owusu Yeboah assuring him of their commitment to ensure peace and order to foster development in the region.
Chief of Sibi Hilltop, Ubor Chanuun I whose brother was shot and killed leaving behind two wives with children called on his people to lay down their arms to allow the laws of the country to work.
Meanwhile, the Police are yet to make any arrest in connection with the violence.