By: Collins Anku | Voltaonlinegh.com |
Users of the Ho-Accra road can now take a deep breath after the contractor working on the dualisation of the Ho-Sokode road has hit the ground running almost two years after works on the road stalled.
The 10.5-kilometer stretch road was started during the National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration but work was stalled when they lost the 2016 general elections.
The road when completed will connect Sokode Gbogame to Civic Centre, Ho and is expected to cost an estimated amount of 126 million Ghana cedis.
The project is being executed by China Railway No. 5 Engineering Ghana Limited and it is expected to last for 18 months.
During an official ceremony by the sector minister and Member of Parliament for Atiwa West, Kwasi Amoako-Atta for the resumption of works on the road, he noted that reasonable amount of money had been paid to the contractor to come back to site.
The Minister said once work resumes on the road, he will leave no stone unturned to see to its completion.
Hon. Amoako-Atta said the president had come to meet a very bad state of roads across the length and breadth of the country and promised to his ensure that things are put in their right perspective.
The Minister warned that President Akufo-Addo will not tolerate any shoddy work under his watch and called on the contractor to deliver nothing but quality work to the people of Ghana.
He added that it is the passion and will of the president to fix all roads in the country and called on all and sundry to support the government in delivering on his mandate to the people.
He said the company has raised a certificate of 27 million Ghana cedis of which payment was effected after they received the certificate.
The Minister disclosed that an advance payment of 10 million Ghana cedis was made last year September, and an additional 11.5 million Ghana cedis for some other jobs including pavement construction by the same contractor.
He revealed that 5 million Ghana cedis had also been approved on October 22, 2018 to be added to the initial amount paid the contractor.
The Minister said government had paid 15 million cedis of an 18.5 million Ghana cedi work done by the contractor and that the additional 13 million Ghana cedis will be paid to ensure that the contractor delivers quality work to the people of the country.
He assured the contractor that funds will always be made available to them to help them complete the work within the stipulated period.
Mr Amoako-Atta urged the Regional Minister, Dr Letsa to supervise the construction to ensure quality work is done supervision and called on the contractor to speed up works but not to sacrifice quality and assured of adequate arrangements to compensate owners of properties that will be affected on time.
He again assured that work on the abandoned Eastern Corridor road will also resume in the shortest possible time to link the north to the south.