Residents of Morkordze, in the Anawusukope Electoral Area of South Tongu District in the Volta Region have expressed fears over the safety of some high tension cables in the area.
Their concern has to do with a high tension pole which runs from Gladisco passing through Morkordze to Agave which is at risk from a baobab tree, very close by with its branches spread just above the pole.
Speaking to voltaonlinegh.com during a visit to the community on Thursday, June 21, the residents expressed fear that there is the possibility of a disaster should the branches fall onto the cables causing them to tear.
Their fears follow the electrocution of three persons, a woman named Yaa Gayi said to be in her 50s and her two grandchildren aged 9 and 7 after heavy downpours in the community on Monday, June 18, 2018.
The incident happened when roofing sheets that got ripped off by rainstorm, peeled off the coat from an electric wire causing it to be electrified. Unfortunately, the victims in an attempt to seek refuge from the rains in another room, got electrocuted by the live wire.
The community has since been left in total blackout as the district power distributor cut power to the area to avert more disasters following Monday’s electrocution.
Assemblyman for the area, George Kwesi Asafo in an interview with voltaonlinegh.com appealed to Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), Ada Operation District (under which the area falls) to visit the community and prune the branches of the baobab tree to forestall any danger.
According to him, he had earlier written to Ada ECG to inform them of the situation but it is taking them forever to heed to the call.
Meanwhile, Headman of the community, Mr James Azilaku, has been speaking with the engineer responsible from Ada ECG to reconnect power to the community.
By: Ewoenam Kpodo/voltaonlinegh.com